Why does my WD hard drive not show up?
If it shows but it does not show a drive letter, make sure you give it one. Also, try to connect the drive to a USB port in the back of the computer, avoid using a USB hub. You can also try uninstalling the usb driver and once you restart the computer, the drivers should get reinstalled by the operating system.
How do I reset my WD 1tb external hard drive?
How to Reset a WD Drive
- Leave the drive turned on but unplug it from your computer.
- Turn around the drive and locate the “Reset” button on the back panel of the unit.
- Unbend the leg of a paperclip and insert it into the hole until you depress the reset button and the paperclip won’t go any further.
Why is my computer not recognizing my external hard drive?
If the drive still isn’t working, unplug it and try a different USB port. It’s possible the port in question is failing, or just being finicky with your specific drive. If it’s plugged into a USB 3.0 port, try a USB 2.0 port. If it’s plugged into a USB hub, try plugging it directly into the PC instead.
How do I reset my hard drive without a computer?
There isn’t any practicable way to wipe it without connecting it to a PC. That’s OK, though – just connect it to your new PC and when you boot from the Windows DVD to install Windows you can use the installation program to delete / recreate the partitions on it and format it.
How do I fix my hard drive not reading?
Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can take to remedy the situation.
- Make Sure It’s Plugged In and Powered On. Western Digital My Book.
- Try Another USB Port (or Another PC)
- Update Your Drivers.
- Enable and Format the Drive in Disk Management.
- Clean the Disk and Start From Scratch.
- Remove and Test the Bare Drive.
How do I fix my hard drive not detected?
To check to see if this is the cause of the BIOS not detecting the hard drive, follow these steps:
- Power off the computer.
- Open the computer case and remove the data cable from the hard drive. This will stop any power saving commands from being sent.
- Turn on the system. Check to see if the hard drive is spinning.